Thursday, April 07, 2005

A Dismal View

On Tuesday we had to travel from our site in Moroceli to Siguatepeque for a training on how to be an emergency zone coordinator. Each department in Honduras is assigned to two volunteers to be in control of emergencies. There are also perks involved such as a few extra vacation days and the use of a cell phone! Wow, imagine that a cell phone in Honduras! So it was on this excursion that I was finishing up with my reading of City of Joy, a sad sad novel about the poverty in Inida while watching the scenery of the shacks and lowlife in Tegucigalpa pass by on the window of the public transportation bus. The shacks cling to the mountain. I tried to see the joy in it, I tried to blurr my vision and make that mountain look somehow beautiful, but all I could see was ugly. A mountian destroyed with deforestation and litter and dirty insect infested shacks. But as my book, City of Joy, suggests maybe the lives in those shacks that see the mountain as their home make the beauty. As the city scape dwindles into a more picturesque nature view, the ugliness still persists. A cloud of smog suffocates the crystal light of the sun, and scars natures beauty with a gray haze. Our earth is now an old woman, with a heavy gray expression on its face, no longer light with youth and gaiety. Sometimes when I look at the world, I am disgusted and other moments when I look into the deep brown eyes of my husband and I see love I see the beauty in it. It all depends on my perspective of vision. I hope your view today is beautiful. Or even if the whole of it is ugly, look for the part in it that feeds the appetite of your heart. Love, Teresa y Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home