Friday, May 27, 2005

Destiny´s Secrets

Imagine walking a cobbled street in a little Guatemalan island called Flores. The moments of the day are Mayan, with images of stone ruins sketched in the scene of jungle forest. This morning, I stared out at the imense forest and stared at it with all my might trying desparately to hang on to the memory, and keep it as a permanent image. But with time it will fade and knowing this makes it even hard to hang on to the beautiful moments of vacation. So with these moments of the morning, roaming the ruins of Tikal we now roam the cobbled streets of the town of Flores, our home for the night. The dark blue haze of water colliding with the green edges of the mountains in the foreground hang to the right and to our left lies the tourist haven of shops, more shops, and restaurants. Then in such a foreign unique scene, all the magic imagery is interupted with an abrupt, "HEH!" The imagery of the scene is fogged in the distance and my focus is on a young man with brown curly hair, a short body with broad shoulders, and I even know his name--Noah Dillard. His place is foreign, in my mind he belongs in a war protest where I last saw him holding a NO WAR sign on the Kalamazoo city block in Michigan. I just stare at him in disbelief. Destiny has it that two neighbors, friends of a peaceful cause, travel the criss cross in a seemingly different world. And suddenly it hits me, the world is so small after all. I shake his hand and give him a hug and we ask the same question simultaneously, "What are you doing here?" The conversation carries us to a cafe for dessert. So here I will paint you the finished painting that I call the Magic of Destiny.
I sit holding hands with the love of my life that I met in highschool math class. To my right, our dearest friends that we met in the bus station in Mexico a year ago when both our backpacks were stolen, and to my left Noah whom we met protesting together against the war in Iraq on the curbside in Kalamazoo. I really enjoyed my cappuccino tonight. Really though, I enjoyed the magic of destiny. On a side note, Tomorrow we are headed to Belize ... Vamos a ver!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home