Thursday, June 16, 2005

¿Do you want to learn English?

It is early on a Monday morning when we walk up the gravel hill from our little yellow and red house to the elementary school. I pass a group of giggling little girls in their lovely navy blue pleated skirts and their white uniform shirts, late to school. When we enter the school yard, we are overwhelmed with the swarm of students that buzz around us chasing each other, yelling "Hello," in a heavy Spanish accent, and the majority that just do the double S (Stand and Stare). I briefly talk to the director of the school, my insides twist and turn at his prescence. A man with fluffy white curly hair, soiled rumpled blue jeans, and a half unbuttoned striped shirt, he reminds me of a clown I might see in the movies. He stands behind a cardboard table selling candies, lard layden potato chips. This is the man that is in charge of educating the youth of Moroceli. The neighbors tell me that he hits children that buy snacks from any of the dear mothers selling tortillas and beans outside the fence. They are only allowed to fill his pockets with their Honduran dimes and dollars. I feel like spitting at him, but instead I decide it would be more proper to shake his hand and say, "Buenos Dias." He greets me breifly and abruptly asks me what I want. Just two weeks ago before our vacation, I was arriving every Wednesday with a group of highschool students to teach English to the fifth and sixth graders and each and every time he told us that he was too busy. Never once did he consider notifying me in advance. "We are only here visiting. I would like to invite all the fourth, fifth, and sixth graders to an English club that we are having every Wednesday at one o´çlcok in the High school." He shook his head and told me, "Go ahead." "Thank you for your help," I stated, even though he didnt even move so much as an inch from his candy stand to introduce me to the classes. I walked into the crammed fourth grade classroom and I yelled to them enthusiastically (asking in Spanish, of course) "Who wants to learn English?" All of the children raised their hands. "Good Morning," I stated and told them to repeat after me. A few brave souls mumbled the morning greeting. Unsatisfied, I repeated it once more even louder, "Good MORNING!" I proceeded to invite them to the English Club on Wednesday at one in the high school and announced that they had to bring three things to the first meeting. Number one, a notebook to write English notes, number two a pencil to write with, and number three an adult to sign the student in for only the first class. I entered six classes (Two sections of each grade), and repeated the same speach to each. The following Wednesday, the high school was filled with about ninety little monsters wanting to learn English. Only a handfull of them brought an adult, and all of them brought a pencil and a notebook. Three of my High schoolers showed up and helped with the signup. I continue to teach my small group of volunteer high school students How to teach English to children with games, songs, and English grammar. This project is my best project going to far because it is sustainable. I will keep you all updated on how it continues, but before I close I have just one question for you! DO YOU WANT TO LEARN ENGLISH? I will see you at one, on Wednesday, in the high school!!! While I am just joking about that I really do send you all my love and hugs, Teresa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home