Monday, August 01, 2005

Almost like Autumn

In Michigan, I always said that I dreaded the change of seasons. I was always in love with summer sunshine, flowers, hours of hiking in nature preserves and the idea of cold bitter winds made me angry. But now as I sweat, my shirt sticking firmly to my back, I actually miss autumn. I miss the ocasional cool breeze, and jack frost nipping at my nose. This past weekend, though, we found a way to escape the hot brutal heat. We hopped in the back of a pick up truck and went along with a family to visit a town in the mountains called San Marcos de Colon. We drove through Danli, through El Paraiso and across the border into Nicaragua. We drove up into the green lush mountains, through coffee plantations and quiet quaint towns. We entered Honduras again on the southern tip and climbed into the town of San Marcos where a cool breeze rests on the mountain side. All day Saturday, we hiked eight hours into the mountains, into clouded forests. I saw lots of bromeliads, plants that live through the means of air using tree branches as their refuge. The flower blossums were unique and beautiful. The wind and low hanging clouds made me feel like it was autumn in Michigan only the landscape was different! After a weekend of cool mountain climbing and cloud forest, we returned through Choluteca and Tegucigalpa all the way back to Moroceli and its not nearing winter. We are back in hot hot hot summer land. As for projects, here in our little valley town of Moroceli, things are going slow. The government has not payed the teachers and once again the teachers have been on strike, so my classes have come to a halt. I will end my short entry on a good note. Just last week, Steve and I purchased airplane tickets to return to Michigan on the 21st of December and we will be home for two weeks. So I wont have to ask any of you to throw snow balls for me or make me a snow man because I will be there to make one with you! We miss you all so so so much. I hope that you are all happy, healthy, and enjoying the summer weather before your change of season comes! Lots of love, Teresa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home